Working from the comfort of your own home sounds ideal. But there are some things to think about before you start – this post will provide information on the things you need to think about before you start working from home.
First of all, WHY do you want to work from home? Do you think it will be fun? Do you need the money? Or do you just want a new challenge? Your answers to those questions will determine your focus.
Next, you need to figuring out if you have the qualities needed to work from home. These qualities include:
1. Self-Discipline. You can’t be watching television, swimming in the pool, or reading a novel when you should be working. You wouldn’t do those things if you were working outside the home, right? Treat your work at home workday just as if you were working outside the home: 8-5 or 9-5.
2. Focus. You need to be able to to totally focus on a problem from beginning to end to determine the best way to solve it. Problem solving is a big issue for people who work from home because problems will come up – count on it!
3. Be well-organized. Your office space should be well-organized, whether it’s an actual office or just a desk in another room. You need a system to handle the paper and information that accumulates on your desk as well as on your computer.
4. Communication skills. You need to be able to communicate with others. You’ll have to be able to explain both problems that you are having and answer customers’ questions about your own products.
5. A strong work ethic. If you think that working for yourself will be a lot easier than working for someone else, you’re wrong. No matter whether you decide to work from home for another company, or start your own business, someone will always be asking you to do something for them.
There are two more important things that you need to do to make sure your business is successful.
The first is to have a plan. Set goals and write a task list to help you reach those goals.
And most important: Take ACTION! You can plan all you want, but if you don’t take action, the planning won’t yield any results.
If you’ve decided that you DO have the qualities that you need to have to succeed working from home, then go for it! Have faith in yourself and your decision. Have the courage to keep on going when those inevitable problems arise. And be DETERMINED to make your business a success. Faith, courage and determination will lead to your success.